Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set Review

Click for more detail

Buy from Amazon

This is an awesome set of bowls. I already had some cylindrical bowls with lids and mixing bowls with out lids along with the lids from my new set fit these also. I use the bigger bowls for proofing bread dough and utilised to put a lidless bowl in a plastic bag. The lids are much far more convenient to clean up than the bag. The smallest bowl is typically an afterthought in a set like this, but it is the excellent bowl for beating eggs for an omelette or scrambled eggs. It turns out I use all the bowl sizes as mixing bowls without having lids and as storage or proofing bowls with lids. Cooks Illustrated has shown that the lids aren't as tight as many of the plastic bowls available on the market. I believe them, but the compromise is worthwhile. I've had cylindrical bowls with lids from Pyrex for a long time, so I know that the lids will wear out in a number of years. This is yet another compromise that I've accepted. To create the lids final longer, put them within the top shelf of the dishwasher, not the bottom. The bigger ones don't fit in the leading rack and so I do them by hand. These compromises prevent me giving a score of five, but maybe that is unfair due to the fact I use Pyrex bowls all the time. They're incredibly versatile (microwave, freezer, oven, storage, mixing) and I'm considerably healthier not working with plastic bowls. I've looked at other merchandise available on the market and they are all less excellent for my needs.

(More...)